Thursday, December 27, 2007

Okonomiyaki

One of my favourite Japanese food is Okonomiyaki, which is something like a Japanese pizza and is mainly made up of cabbage. You can add in whatever you like if you are making it on your own.

The "must have" ingredients for me are crab sticks and egg. Trust me, the egg really makes a difference to the taste!

So, in order to custom make my own okonomiyaki, I bought the okonomiyaki flour from Daiso (Somehow I only found it there), which wasn't the best of choice, but enough to satisfy my cravings. I also bought the okonomiyaki sauce, japanese mayonnaise and bonito flakes from the supermarket to complete the okonomiyaki.




Since I can't read the Japanese instructions at the back of the packet of flour, I had to estimate the amount of flour to use. (Which apparently was too much for a one person's share). Despite that, my first okonomiyaki was still quite successful and good tasting too! The trick is not to have too much flour mixture in your okonomiyaki.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup okonomiyaki flour
1/2 cup water
1 egg (Separate the yolk and white)
1 bowl of cabbage, chopped
2 crabsticks (1 halved and the other shredded)
Okonomiyaki sauce
Japanese mayonnaise
Bonito flakes

Instructions:
1. Take flour and mix with water to get a thick batter consistency.
2. Add egg white and mix well.
3. Next, add the cabbage and shredded crabsticks and mix well.
4. Brush some oil in your pan and make sure that it is hot before adding a huge heap of your cabbage mixture.
5. Using a flat spatula, shape the mixture into a round shape and ensure that the mixture is well distributed.
6. Make a dent at the top of the mixture and add the egg yolk in the middle.
7. Once the bottom of the mixture is nicely browned, turn the okonomiyaki over carefully with 2 spatulas. (The egg yolk will break at the bottom)
8. Brown the other side of the okonomiyaki and you may then serve it with the okonomiyaki sauce, Japanese mayonnaise and bonito flakes.


A step by step illustration of how you can dress up your okonomiyaki =)

Doesn't this just look sooo good?

No comments: