Monday, December 31, 2007

Egg mayonnaise and Gai krapow in wonton cups (Part 1)

Thinking of what to bring for your potluck gatherings? Try making wonton cups! Its really easy to make, versatile and comes with an elegant presentation.

I made my 1st batch of wonton cups using the oven bake method as most ang moh websites did and I'm rather disappointed in the lack of wonton taste although it is definitely the healthier choice. (Some of my friends became my guinea pigs when I brought those wonton cups to Cheryl's house...Sorry :Þ )My 2nd batch of deep fried wonton cups were perfect as only deep frying brings out the wonton taste.


The egg and crabstick mayo was a hit among my friends and family and it goes really well with the cups. I'll post the recipe for my dearest friends as requested..

My version of the Thai Gai Krapow without the fresh basil (Minced chicken with basil) didn't go that well with the wonton cups although I was quite pleased with the refreshing taste of the lime leaves and dried basil in the dish. The downside was that the minced meat was rather tough as I used breast meat. Will try thigh meat next time. Anyway, Gai Krapow is perfect with some steaming white rice. Do try it next time =)

______________________________________________

First up, HOW TO MAKE WONTON CUPS?

1. If you like to lead a healthier lifestyle and don't mind compromising on the taste, you can bake your wonton skins in the oven. All you need is a muffin tray and oil to brush on your wontons. *Important: Brush off excess flour from wonton skins before baking*

2. Else, you can choose to make the deliciously cripsy wonton cups by deep frying them!



You can choose to use another ladle to press down on the wonton skin when frying to retain the shape. Otherwise, use a pair of chopsticks to hold the wonton down while repeating the actions of lowering and lifting the ladle with the wonton skin, in and out of the oil. This ensure that the wonton doesn't get burnt.

Take note that wontons cook super fast. Less than a minute.
Once the wontons is slightly brown, turn it over to cook the edges as in Picture 5 for 3-4 secs. Then remove it and place on kitchen towels to soak up excess oil.


See following post for Egg Mayonnaise recipe.

See next post for Gai Krapow recipe.

No comments: