Monday, June 02, 2008

Shimbashi Soba

Those of you who have been to Paragon's basement will be no stranger to the interesting sight of a soba master kneading and cutting soba noodles from a piece of dough through a glass pane. This is today's recommendation of the day --> Shimbashi Soba

The good thing about this place is the promise of really fresh soba as it's done on the spot. Good service was also experienced on both of my visits there. They even hired some Japanese waitresses there to serve their Japanese customers.
Below are the stuff that Marky and I ordered the 1st time we were there. I really loved their cold soba with vegetable tempura though I can't remember the name of it. I was initially attracted by the half-cooked egg in the middle of the dish and boy was it goooood! However, I found that the portion was too big...I would have enjoyed it better if it was a smaller portion as I felt very 'jelat' towards the end.
Their cold noodles are pretty good but I will never order their soba in soup which was what my mum ordered the 2nd time I went there. The noodles were too soft for my liking though mum likes it.
Something worth raving is their Tamago Yaki, which came with Marky's Cold Soba set (Bottom right). The sweetness and texture of this simple omelette left me craving for more each time I visit there...
Shimbashi soba also serve different types of teas in pots, other than the usual Ocha.
Pop by for afternoon tea as dessert and tea sets you back by only $5++ (2.30 to 5.30pm). It's a real cheap deal!

The Paragon
#B1-41290 Orchard Road (S)238859
Opening Hours
Daily: 11.30am - 10pm
Telephone: 67359882

No comments: