Sunday, May 13, 2007

Meat: Bacon wrapped asparagus & Bacon wrapped water chestnut

It has been a very long break of 10 weeks. Finally, I have the time to update my blog. And as noticed by Marky, I've gotten a complaint about not updating since my practicum has ended. (You know who u are...lol)

Anyway, I'm going to recommend a very simple yet delicious finger food that is great for parties or BBQs ---> Bacon wrapped asparagus & Bacon wrapped water chestnut.

There are actually a variety of ways that you can cook this for example, frying, baking and barbequing. I actually prefer baking but my mum commented that frying on a non-stick pan is better as it is more crisp. I've given you the choices, it's now up to you to choose your favourite cooking methods =)

The reason why this is a hit among my family, friends and I is because of the heavenly combination of the salty bacon and the crisp vegetables. My favourite is the water chestnut as it doesn't shrink or turns soft when cooking and its sweetness really complements the bacon very well.

Enough of saying.. Let's get on with the extremely easy recipe!


Bacon wrapped asparagus/water chestnut










Ingredients
Bacon strips
Baby asparagus, divide into 4 bunches. Ard 4-5cm each
(You may opt to use large asparagus)
Water chestnuts, washed, skinned and cut into halves
Tomato sauce
(Optional, but I find that the bacon taste nicer when you brush a little on top)
Chinese Parsley (Coriander), chopped (Optional, but I also prefer to have this)
Black pepper

Toothpicks to skewer the bacon and vegetables.

Method
1) Preheat your oven to 200ÂșC (May vary from oven to oven)

2) Place 3 or 4 pieces of asparagus on a slice of bacon and wrap the vegetable with the bacon. (If you find the bacon too long, you may want to cut the bacon into half.)


3) Skewer with a toothpick to secure it.















4) Do the same for the halved chestnuts.
















5
) Once you have all your skewered bacons, place them flat on the baking tray.

6) Brush some tomato sauce over the bacon then sprinkle black pepper and chopped chinese parsley over the top.

7) Bake for 10-12minutes or until bacon is crisp and asparagus bundle is tender.




No comments: