Monday, January 22, 2007

Noodles :Aglio Olio with White Button Mushroom

Flu has decided to visit me this morning to make me feel sick the whole day...But since I'm lazy to do my work, I've decided to update my blog. Otherwise, Markie will start saying that my blog is coming to an end soon. Like my previous blogs. ARGHHHH.. Totally not supportive, next time don't cook nice food for you already. Humph!

Anyway, the food of the day is Aglio Olio.

An easy to make dish and an all time favourite. The basic ingredients are just spaghetti, olive oil, plenty of garlic and red pepper. Sounds easy right?

I've tried this dish many times and I think the best combination is still with white button mushroom. So, I fried this for a BBQ session with my Markie & the womenz. Comments were all pretty positive (although it was already cold), so here's my recipe for my version of aglio olio for you to try it out!

Aglio Olio with White Button Mushrooms









Ingredients:
1/2 a packet of Spaghetti/Linguine (The actual amt should be a little less than that)
2 packets of white button mushrooms, sliced into 2mm slices (Quite expensive @ approximately $3.95 each)
4 tbsp butter (Amt can be increased to suit your taste)
5 tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, chopped finely
Salt and black pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes (I used finely chopped fresh red chillies)
Parsley for garnishing (It really adds to the taste too)

Method:
1. Cook pasta until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.

2. Add salt to the water while pasta is being cooked.

3. Drain pasta immediately into a colander when it is cooked and toss it abit to remove excess water. (Pasta should be placed under cold water only if you are making a salad to stop the cooking process)

4. Place 3 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil into a hot frying pan. Add 2 tsp of garlic when butter has melted and fry till fragrant.

5. Add button mushrooms and let them sit in the frying pan until bottom is caramelized.

6. Toss mushrooms and fry for another 5 minutes. (You may want to add more butter or olive oil if you find the mushrooms very dry)

7. Add salt and pepper to taste. Dish the mushrooms out.

8. Add 3 tbsp of olive oil to hot pan. Then add the remaining garlic and chilli to fry till garlic is slightly browned.

9. Add in the cooked pasta and stir fry. At this point, add 1/2 of the sauteed mushrooms and some excess liquid to the pasta for more flavour.

10. Season your pasta with salt and pepper to taste.

11. Lastly, place the remaining mushrooms on top of the pasta and sprinkle parsley generously over the top.


No comments: